-->
CAKEBRAIN’S KITCHEN RENO: BRAINS AND BRAWN
DSC_2433

Employing Brains and Brawn:  Will McPhail (right) and Philippe (left)
from McPhail Renovations, Vancouver, B.C.



BEFORE THE RENO PICS:
Just so you know, I had crackers for dinner.   My kids subsisted on Halloween Candies, instant noodles and bread.  

Nov. 1, 2011…the night before the demolition begins, I have packed away the tons of dishes, food, pans and detritus from my kitchen.  Every square inch of horizontal space in my home has kitchen stuff on it.  I even managed to squirrel away all my fine crystal wine glasses high up over my fireplace.

These pictures were taken the night before the demo:
IMG_2601

This is my kitchen.  Yah. Very grey.  When we bought our home over 8 years ago, I knew that the granite looked expensive.  Someone paid a pretty penny for it.  But gads, when you spill something, you can’t see it!   I came to curse it as the years passed. 

IMG_2605

That’s the Sub-Zero fridge on the left that’s broken down several times since we’ve moved in.  We’ve had it patched up but it’s on its last legs.  I thought they were supposed to last forever.  Guess not. 

IMG_2604

I love my window area but hate the 3-bowl cast iron sink.  The garburetor is in the centre.  The faucet doesn’t reach the other bowls adequately and when I wash stuff, inevitably the front of my shirt is drenched because the water splashes up the shallow middle sink.  Not so practical for big pots and pans either.

IMG_2603

That’s a Miele dishwasher.  This is relatively new as my old dishwasher broke down the second year we moved in.  The hood fan broke down last year.  So the Vent-A-Hood you see is practically brand new.  Keeping all that new stuff of course.

IMG_2602

That horrid range is going and I’ve ordered a Wolf.   Red knobs! 

IMG_2607

The first year we moved in, the microwave broke down and then the oven was too small to roast even a chicken (it was a Jenn Air).  I purchased a Wolf Convection Oven (on the bottom) and the Convection Microwave (top) to replace them.  These are keepers of course.

IMG_2606

This is the counter where I usually do all my baking and prep work.  It’s not huge but it’ll do.  I will be replacing the island granite with White Marble.

CAKEBRAIN’S KITCHEN RENO: DAY 1...DECONSTRUCTION
DSC_2428

I’ve known Will for a long time.   He’s a good friend.  When he decided to start his own renovation company, McPhail Renovations,  I was very happy for him and I kept him in the back of my mind because I knew his attention to detail and even-keeled personality would appease my OCD tendencies if I should need to renovate. 

DSC_2430

Will is not your typical contractor.    I’m not saying other contractors aren’t intelligent, as I’ve only dealt with a handful, but Will is definitely cerebral.    This came in quite handy on Day 1 of the Demo when he and his assistant Philippe had to remove the Vent-A-Hood.  They were cursing the guy who designed it (and me for choosing it)!   Not only was the Vent-A-Hood built like a jet engine, it weighed like one.   That, and it didn't help matters that I hadn’t cleaned the icky tacky film on the hood in a couple of weeks or clean the nasty buildup in the trap prior to them removing it!   My bad!

DSC_2431

DSC_2432


DSC_2434

Island’s dismantled, top cupboards are down and appliances are out!  The appliances are resting on my dining room floor.  The refrigerator’s still in there currently.

DSC_2435

DSC_2436

My dining room table loaded with my kitchen innards.

LihatTutupKomentar